Monday, 11 February 2013

Info-graphic: How much do music artists earn online?


This is an info-graphic designed by David McCandless. It is about how much money musicians earn from online payments/plays etc. It also shows the most popular form of music consumption.

Music is a huge thing in my life and I am a musician myself. I have recently joined a band and we have started producing an album so this is very interesting and helpful and really put things into perspective.

I was however quite shocked at how little the artists earn and how much needs to be bought or played for the artists to earn anything remotely worthwhile.

This info-graphic generated a huge debate about the subject with people on both sides talking about how justified it is for how much the artists earn. People really got in depth with their opinions. I believe the artists should earn more than they do but I think the time has come for music to be completely digitized. I have never owned a CD in my life; my music consumption is purely from the Spotify application. Even though I do appreciate how someone could enjoy the aesthetics of a CD case or vinyl.


In terms of how the info-graphic is designed I think it was designed very well. The pink circles are a huge visual indication as to how unfair the proportions are. The colour co-ordination also indicates this well.

No comments:

Post a Comment